20 September, 2013

day three.

An interview with Seam owner and designer, Pattie Talbot:

Tell me about where you grew up and how that inspired you to choose a career in fashion?

I grew up in South Minneapolis. I had two older sisters, and my mother sewed for them all the time, so it was natural for me. I was always encouraged to be creative and artsy, so there was always fabric and paint and stuff to play with. I started sewing when I was four years old and began sewing my own clothing when I was eight. In high school, I decided that I may be able to do more than home sewing and began altering my own patterns and creating my own designs. I became serious about fashion when I realized the Minneapolis College of Art and Design had a program, and the rest is history.

Did you have a mentor?

My professor, Michele Fernand, a skilled designer and couturier that had worked for Christian Dior, Cristobal Balenciaga, and Hubert de Givenchy in Paris. She was amazing.

What do you look forward to in a working day?

I never know what's going to happen here. I never know who is going to call or what they're going to need me to do. I always look forward to the challenge that each day brings. Part of this is because I do things no else can do.

What is your biggest inspiration?

When a client comes out of the dressing room and I  can see from their expression that they know how great they look. 

What is your biggest pet peeve?

Being called a seamstress. Sewing is what I do, but that's not all I do.

What advice do you have for aspiring designers?

Work your ass off. Work and work and work.


And with that, I survived my first week. 

Until next time, 

Amanda

(Hours: 11:00 AM-3:00 PM; 4 Hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment